Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sooner came sooner than expected

Perhaps some of you will remember this paragraph from a post in November:

*That point isn't now. And given that the second dentist I saw (my dentist wanted confirmation that the surgery was necessary) pointed out the problem on the other side of my mouth. What? Some other problem? Turns out that the fake tooth I had cemented in 20+ years ago needs to be replaced. I knew there was something wrong-ish going on - floss was catching on something, and eating things like apples I had to avoid that side- but didn't realize it would entail more than a minute to fix it. So still no apples for me. I haven't had an apple since September. Hard to, when you have to bite carefully on one side of your mouth and not at all on the other.

Well, that problem is going to be fixed sooner instead of later. Why? Because on Monday I bit into a cracker. And three teeth fell out. On fake, and the bits on each side that had been holding it in. I bit a cracker, felt something weird, opened my mouth and a little group of three teeth fell into my hand. Along with a lot of blood.

I spent Monday afternoon at the dentist. The place where the original root canal/fake tooth was couldn't be saved. So they pulled the three roots of that right out. And then they sort of cleaned things up, and burnt stuff to stop the bleeding. Put in a temporary cap thingy where they'd taken the roots out. Left the rest of the space open.

So now...I have a great gaping space on the one side of my mouth. Nothing they can fix permanently for three months, because that's how long it will take the jaw to heal enough for him to work on it. And since I was already there I mentioned that I had been about to call him anyway, as the side the surgery had been on was hurting just as much as it did - and in the same way - when I went to see him in the first place. The surgery likely fixed a problem, but it didn't fix the problem. The problem of not being able to bite down on that side. And with the other side now swollen and painful (and partially toothless) I can't bite down on that side either. I guess I'm lucky I like scrambled eggs.

4 comments:

  1. Ohmigosh, KB. That sounds dreadful! I hope you get healing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, what kind of cracker are we talking about? I'm now scared to snack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fix yourself a barley sandwich and keep on truckin'. Get well soon so you can put the bite on someone again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy crap! - that is definitely one of my nightmares! (see my blog: http://wynnanne.blogspot.com/2010/11/crumbling-teeth.html)

    I've had similar happen while eating a salad - half a tooth fell out. I was able to see the dentist that same afternoon and felt quite apologetic about my breath.

    ReplyDelete