Thursday, March 3, 2011

Cooking Tuesday, two days late

I think, actually, that I'm going to give up trying to do something specific in the blog on a specific day. As soon as I planned it, things kept happening to make it not happen, if that makes any sense.

I did have an interesting bit of cooking, however - interesting to me, at any rate - last night. I'd been hired to cater a gluten-free funeral. Or wake, the funeral itself can have as much wheat as it wants! And relax - no one in la famille Hingston has passed away.

The funeral is for (now follow carefully!) a co-worker's brother's mother-in-law. The daughter (wife of co-worker's brother) is the one with Celiac disease.

I've catered one funeral, and I've done lots of things for this co-worker when she is doing a birthday or something for her sister-in-law, but this was quite a bit more involved. Fun to think about (not the death part, the what on earth to make without flour part) as it happens. In the end, I made a layered pesto and sun-dried tomato torte with gluten free crackers to spread it on, chocolate brownies with a chocolate honey glaze, vanilla caramels with salted chocolate topping, coconut macaroons, chocolate fudge and Texas pralines. Only two things were chocolate-free, but that's what they asked for: no wheat, heavy on the chocolate. So that's what they're getting.

4 comments:

  1. Gluten free should make sure no one rises again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. Interesting challenge - and it sounds like you found a good solution. What would you do for a cake/torte that was: egg, wheat (and gluten), and dairy-free?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like some amazing food milady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogfodder: if bread could make people rise from the grave, we'd be overun already!
    Wordfiend: hmmm. Now that I'm going to have to work on for a bit. I think...perhaps vegan brownies, with a blend of non-wheat flour. And icing with something using cocoa instead of chocolate. Maybe!
    Ky: Next time I'm there, I'll make sure to leave some chocolate fudge behind for you!

    ReplyDelete