Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Dangers of Poetry

The work I am doing right now - and yesterday and most of last week - is all firmly mired in the 1940's. All military stuff. I feel very out-of-time when it's time for lunch. Nothing seems quite right, the way one feels when you've been deep into a good book and come up for a breath of air. I should go and visit my dad; having coffee with him and his coffee buddies may be the only place I'd feel comfortable right now.

None of which is what I intended to blog about. I can't, of course, give details of the actual records but it's ok when there is no way for you to trace who I'm talking about. The wording is actually more along the lines of not giving so many details that a "reasonable"* person would know who I was talking about. I used the quotes there because I'm still not entirely sure that the word reasonable should be used in legislation. Very vague, to my mind.

So, back to the story. All this long introduction just to tell you about one man and his quest to be re-enlisted. They decided to take him, despite a serious concern they all had. That concern? I'm going to quote it here, exactly as written. Because if I don't you'll think I'm making it up, and I'm not, this is exactly what the form says
"...will be of use and value despite a strong tendency to break into effusions of poetry".

Yes, I can see the concern there. Curse poetry for being so dangerous!

No comments:

Post a Comment