Thursday, July 29, 2010

Is it me?

I seem to ask that a lot. There just seems to be a number of things that should be quite straightforward and yet pour moi they get complicated. Normally I'd say that weird things happen when I try to do normal things, but The Boy has pointed out that when unusual stuff happens to the same person all the time, at some point unusual becomes usual.



Anyway - I was given a way to track repeat phone calls. You know, a way to keep track of anyone who might be calling so often that the train has made a brief stop at irritation town but might be pulling out for harrasementville and stalkertown. And if that's the case it's good to have a record of how many calls there truly are, because saying "it feels like a million" is not useful in any practical way.



I got a chance right away - lucky me! - to try this system out. Both on my work phone and on my cell. All I got on the work phone (trying with dialing 9 first as well as without) was the robot voice telling me that there was trouble in completing my call. I suspect this is because we're on some sort of connected phone system here. The cell phone was a different story.



First, I wasn't sure how to do it. I mean, you can't just get a dial tone with a cell phone. Or perhaps I just don't know how to do that. All I know is entering a phone number and then hitting the talk button. When I realized a message had been left, I call voicemail (no, I didn't listen to the message. I deleted it after I was sure it was the number I wanted to keep track of) and decided that perhaps as I was in voicemail I could try the magic number trick. So I tried. And got the following message from the strangely cheerful recorded female voice:

Thanks - that was good for us, hope it was good for you!"





WHAT? What on earth are they trying to tell me? I think the babies are right - until I can remember to refer to messages sent on phones as texting (instead of emailing, which I keep saying accidentally) cell phone technology is not my friend.

1 comment:

  1. At the office, you may be able to do *957 which is what I have to do at mine. At home *57 should work. On your cell, *57 (then hitting the dial button) should work.

    You're too hilarious. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete