Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Really, it's ok. I'm not offended

Sometimes with poor customer service I - like everyone else on the planet - want to rant. Or sigh, if it was merely poor-ish service instead of terrible service. Sometimes, though, its just funny. When for whatever reasons your feelings aren't hurt but they could have been and then the person is mortified and really you're ok with it. Especially, in this case, if it gives you something to blog about when you've been kind of skimpy on blog posts. (Are you looking at me? Well, fair enough because I am).

Incident # 1: I went to pick up coffee for the office. Just four of us. Two lattes no fat no foam and two coconut breezers. One regular and one - mine - with sugar free syrup and no whipped cream. Is this because I am particularly virtuous? Nope, it's because I don't particularly like whipped cream. It was hard enough losing weight, why gain it back with something I don't even like? If I gain the weight back it sure better be over something better than whipping cream!

By the time I got to the coffee place I decided I didn't want anything at all. Too hot a day for a hot drink, not hot enough for a cold one. Fussy fussy fussy! When the barista brought me the drinks (we get these same drinks fairly often) she said "I filled the coconut breezer to the top with extra whipping cream, since it isn't for the person who apparently won't eat whipped cream and always wants sugar-free syrup. You go ahead and enjoy that".

I just started laughing. Didn't mean to, because of course then you have to explain and she would feel terrible. And really, she's very nice. And I have no need to hurt people. Well, mostly I have no need but let's not discuss that ok? So I told her and yes, she was mortified. I explained that it took me a year to lose 50+ pounds and that I really didn't want to gain it back by eating whipped cream that I don't even like. She understood and, I think, felt a bit better.

The second incident was today, and was funny only because the woman realized partway through how awful what she was saying sounded and then she made it worse and then she just trailed off and apologized. Poor woman, I'm sure she'll have an embarrassing story to tell tonight!

So, background: I am worried about turning into a TV watching, curler wearing, muu muu sporting, cigarrette smoking, liquour swilling couch potato. I have told The Boy to intervene if that appears to be happening.

To prevent such a thing from happening I am going to start -or restart, actually - Scottish Country Dancing. Just about free, so that's good. And I am taking another round of Belly Dancing. Finally, I am going to go to a few plays at the Globe theatre. (Originally typed that as "Glove Theatre" which probably exists, but not here!). I phoned today to place the order for a few tickets. Here's how it went, more or less:
Very Good. Your total, tax included is xxyy dollars.

What? But the brochure here says x dollars, plus tax

That's right, the package is x dollars plus y for the tax. xxyy dollars.

But that doesn't make sense - that total is twice as much as it should be.

Oh! Are you not buying for two people?

No, just me.

Oh, well, it's just that people always buy in pairs, or groups, I just never thought, I mean, it's the kind of thing that people do together... I'm just not used to, that is, not that you have to have someone, of course, I mean sorry, not that you don't have someone one, just that.....

At which point she just stopped talking. Which was a good call.

2 comments:

  1. KB, that is great that you're doing the dancing and the theatre going. And that you're doing it by yourself! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete