Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Not Gone. But perhaps Forgotten.

Haven't posted in a while, have I? Time to add a thing or two:

Didn't win the Children's Wish Lottery, but a family member won the hoped for answer to a medical test lottery, a much better win so that's good.

Move from the house is over and done with, although I have had to go back a couple of times. Was ok with it, unlike the last official trip when I had to pull over and puke in a ditch I was so stressed over it! I even went so far as to peek in the front hall on the weekend. Man, I hate that house. I don't think I'll ever want to see it again, even when all the renos are done.

I've been saving some interesting bits and pieces for you. Things I've read, things I've heard on the radio and things I've heard in person:

"I didn't say anything at the time because it hurt my emotions to have to do that to her" This from a 1920's murder trial transcript. Murder, so hard on one. No one ever understands.

"I'm sorry it took so long, we were unexpectedly swamped with customers". This at a coffee shop where I was getting coffee for the office. At TEN FIFTEEN IN THE MORNING. Is there any other time in the day that would be MORE likely to be busy? Surely not! If you're not busy during morning coffee break, when are you?

"Would you like me to hold something for you?" This from a very nice looking man in the Safeway parking lot. I had dropped my purse, the trunk lid had just whacked me on the head....again, and my note (which, granted, was no longer needed) was running away in the wind. I totally wasn't thinking, because I asked him to hold the trunk open whilst I unloaded groceries. I was close to tears (it HURTS to be bashed by a trunk lid), I should have said yes, hold me!

My family -and friends, for that matter - occasionally ask if I've met anyone. I just signed up an entire fire hall of men* to be cookie taste testers. Does that count? I was at Canadian Tire, they had a table for fundraising, as I walked by one of the asked me about what they were doing and we talked for a bit. As I walked away I wondered if they were from the fire-hall a half a block from the apartment. So I went back and asked. They were. Told them about needing taste testers for the Christmas list. They're very interested. In the cookies, at least! *Yes, some of the halls have women fire fighters. But not all of them. and women are fine taste testers too, you know!

I think I am going to write a song. A country western heart break song. And if I do, it'll be called "I won't be making pancakes anymore". So sad. I love making breakfast/lunch things, but it rarely works out that there is anyone but me and I like the making more than the eating! Although...having found a source for wood-fire boiled maple syrup I may just be making pancakes/waffles/french toast for one anyway.

At the local grocery store, a conversation that I still don't quite understand:
Me: Do you have any plums?
Produce Person: Do you?
Me: ummm...I was looking for plums.
P.P.: Sorry, I totally misheard what you said.

And then he left.

I have two trips coming up. One, in less than two weeks to BC to see family and check out the salmon run. The other to Cuba, in the depths of winter. Very excited about that, but now I'm thinking of all the related things:

Do I need shots?
Should I go to a tanning salon in advance?
When should I get a bathing suit, as the one I have is looking saggy baggy elephant-like? I mean, yeah, I need a smaller suit instead of a bigger one, but boo, bathing suit shopping. And knowing full well that I will be seen in said suit by non-family members.
Waxing. don't want to think about waxing.
Stuff to do whilst I am there. Already snorkeling, so that's good.
Things to bring to leave behind, like soap and shampoo etc.

I am very excited to be going somewhere hot when things here are decidedly cold! Will take pictures and post any non-swim suit shots that seem post-able.

7 comments:

  1. "I should have said yes, hold me!" I love you, KB. That was so great.

    And here's my advice about a tanning salon: Don't. Cancer is bad. Wear sunscreen instead. Loads of it. And big hats. And long sundresses. And carry a parasol. But I also might be a little paranoid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ky is right: you are funny, and don't tan.

    Great post -- lots of delicious tidbits. When will the renos be done so you can wipe the dust off your shoes and be done with the place?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ky: the parasol, that tempted me. If I find a 1920's lounging robe I will buy a matching sun shade and use it!

    Wynn Anne: renos are from the new owner, but the new owner is a friend, so I do hear about what's happening! I have washed my hands of the place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I plan on spending as much time in/on water as possible. Don't want to burn, which is why I thought a little skin cooking in advance would be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the plum story! So surreal.

    Regarding Cuba:
    --Yes, you should ask your family doctor about shots.
    --I agree with Ky 1,000% about tanning, whether in salons or on the beach. It's not worth the melanoma or the premature wrinkling. I went to Cuba with a doctor friend and we stayed under beach umbrellas except when we went swimming. See http://www.cancer.ca/ontario/prevention/use%20sunsense/indoor%20tanning.aspx?sc_lang=en
    Anyway, your complexion is gorgeous the way it is!
    --We brought loads of little containers of shampoo, toothpaste, etc. to leave for the maids, and they seemed to really appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 50 next year? I don't believe it. I tell everyone you are not more than 45 if that. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've no idea how fifty snuck up on me either!

    ReplyDelete