Monday, August 29, 2011

Must pay closer attention to things.

Or not. Perhaps there is something going on that I shouldn't mess with. Nevertheless, here is today's post:

My sister is a bit of a gulliboo (hey sis!). A gulliboo is someone on the extreme end of gullibility. This is a real word. Honest! As it turns out…I am an even bigger gulliboo; mainly because the same thing keeps happening. Seriously, repeat gullibility? I should be shot. You know that line about fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me? I wonder what the deal is if you fool me nine times. No wait; make that eight times, which I’ll explain in a second.

The problem is that I haven’t been looking at what people give me for change. I suppose I do if I’m not in a hurry, but clearly – looking at what is in my change purse – I don’t check anywhere near often enough. Bad enough that ten years or so ago I ended up with half a twenty dollar bill as change and didn’t notice (I still have it. I firmly believe that the day I toss it is the day I find another half a bill. Or that some one day only special at the bank arrives where they replace bits of money with legal tender), but now it appears that I’ve been accepting any old thing for change. Don’t believe me? Here’s a list of unusual things I’ve sorted out of my change purse:

4 Ruckers tokens. Same colour as loonies, I suppose if I didn’t think about the size and weight I might have accepted them. Once I can see. Four times?

1988 South African 50P coin. And yes, long before The Girl ever got home, so it isn’t from her.

1991 5 c coin, also from South Africa

1949 5 something (cents?) from Belgium, of all places. Belgium? The forties? Has my purse been time traveling? WITHOUT ME?

1960 2 cent – or something – coin from some Scandinavian Country. Whichever one had Gustav Adolph the VI as king at the time. (Ok, I went and Googled that. It’s Sweden.)

That’s eight. And the ninth one is actually Canadian, so I guess I wasn’t fooled on that one. But it’s still odd; 1934 nickel. Again with the time travel!

2 comments:

  1. The Bank of Canada will in fact convert partial bank notes back in to real currency. They measure them and give you an appropriate percentage of the face value, the only caveat being that the piece turned in must contain at least 1 complete serial number.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had quite the same change luck as you (FOUR tokens?!), but what I thought was a loonie in my change purse ended up being an old-timey 2 pence coin. Ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete