Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Trying not to complain, but...

I don't want to turn into a writer that does nothing but complain about how awful people are. Really I don't. But...is society in general no longer able to recognize visual clues, like body language? And how about verbal directions? When you tell someone something, and they appear to hear and understand, and then continue on as though they neither heard nor understood is that not a problem?

Perhaps we really have become a nation of sheep. Perhaps we have reached a point where people need exact, specific instructions regarding polite behaviour. Regarding anything, in fact. Anything and everything?

What's got me on this particular hobby horse today is the number of people who talk to you when you're trying to read. This isn't new, of course. Today I chose to take my lunch break in my own office.

I have the best office in the building. Big windows, a small corner that couldn't be used that I made into a lounge (one comfy chair, one bookcase and one table with a lamp), and given that I cranked the heat WAY up today it is about the only place in the building that isn't cold, bordering on freezing. Those aren't the reasons that I ate here instead of the lunch room, though. I did so in order to read in peace and quiet. I've been busy, I needed the break. People talk to/at you in the lunch room.

So there I was, folded up in my chair having lunch and reading. Someone walking by stopped to ask why I was there, not the lunch room. And - deciding to be blunt about it - I said "because I really need to be on my own and reading today. It's been a tough day". He agreed. And then proceeded to tell me - for almost ten minutes of my thirty minute lunch break - about his day.

So my complaint is two-fold: how, or why did he think my desire to be alone didn't include him? Also...where on earth did I leave my spine? I mean, yes, I hate hurting peoples feelings, but I didn't have to say "that includes you, idjit", I could have simply said something like "I'm sorry, but I have a short break and I really do just want to read for a bit". But I didn't. I just did some spectacular silent seething and ended up finishing lunch about as ready for a break when I started it.

No comments:

Post a Comment