Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How to Please a Man

Totally safe post. Not going to tell you how to please all men, or tell you something that would please your man, I'm just telling a story. A baking story.

I was a bit out of sorts this morning. I hadn't slept well, thanks to the side I normally sleep on being injured. I would start out on my back, or on my stomach but would inevitably find myself on my right side, in agony and wide awake. So, tired this morning, and cranky. Ok, not so cranky. I'm not very good at cranky.

The solution to being tired (or angry, sad, bored, delusional, frustrated) for me is baking. So I made chocolate chip cookies, with raspberry chocolate chips instead of the usual giant milk chocolate chips I normally use.

The only problem, of course, is this means cookies are available for eating. And The Boy isn't at the house this week, so I'd be eating them, and maybe The Girl would eat some. No no no. That is a BAD thing. So - I did what any right thinking person would do and I brought them to the office.

It was a good day to do that, as I had meetings at the branch I used to work at. They occasionally complain that they miss having fresh baked goods since I changed locations. So I got rid of the cookies and they got some baking. Yummy baking if I may be so bold as to say.

The best part is how they smelled; chocolate, raspberry, butter and sugar. Heaven in a basket. And tempting. Truly. How do I know this? I got onto the elevator, along with some random guy. Who turned to me with enormous eyes wide open in delight and asked what was in the basket (and I wasn't even wearing a red hood). So I told him. And then offered him some. (Some cookies, ok? Just cookies).

He looked at the basket, looked at me, said "really?" and took one. But the way he said "really", people. Just amazing. Like he was six, and I'd offered him a puppy. He bit into it, warm melty chocolate and all, and moaned. Ok, the moan wasn't very six year old-ish. But still. Clearly one single cookie had given him a moment of heaven. And he took one for the road, so I got rid of two before I even made it to the meeting. Good for me, good for him. And that's how to please a man.

4 comments:

  1. Zoe, you are amazing. And funny. I will miss your Christmas baking this year. Will attempt shortbread. Bought all the stuff last year but chickened out. Any hints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't overhandle the dough; that makes for very tough shortbread. And a good recipe. Which I will email you tomorrow. One that my dad uses, and the one that I sell at Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...That's like the exact opposite of how my grandma used to make shortbread...she would mix her dough by hand for hours (yes, literally) and I wouldn't have ever described it as tough...crumbly as heck, but not hard at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zoe: did you find out if he was single?

    ReplyDelete