Friday, November 12, 2010

Invisible Service

The first thing you need to know is that I've been without a house phone for weeks. On Monday, arrangements were made for a service person go come to the house today. Perfect - I was off Thursday and had already asked for today as vacation leave. So I'd be here. I was told to be home between one and three. Perfect.

One...no one here. Two, nothing. At two ten, the phone rings. The house phone. It is Sasktel. Just checking that the work that is being done even as we speak is going well. Well enough, I say, since she's calling on that phone. At which point this conversation goes down:

"He shouldn't be there much longer"
"There is no one here"
"Yes there is"
"uh...no there isn't, unless he's outside"
"he's there, right now, fixing your phone. The line still has static, but we'll get that straightened out too"
"but I don't even see a truck"
"he's in your house, right now"
"Right. Well thanks for calling"

I put on boots and walked all the way around the house. No guy, no truck no footprints in the snow. But hey, my phone works. So I don't care whose house the guy was in. Unless he is here, and invisible. I really can't afford to have invisible people wandering around my house. It'll entirely change my preferred lounge wear. Not to mention things like singing out loud and talking to the puppies like they're people.

The phone is fine, but there is a message on it. A welcome to Sask-tel message, asking me to follow certain steps to set up the new account. None of this is making sense to me, but at least we're connected to the world again, with something other than magnets.

2 comments:

  1. I once had a client who called to say someone broke into her house, but she couldn't see him and he didn't take anything. Maybe it was the Sasktel guy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of a bad joke about wonder woman, the invisible man and superman. Never mind.

    If you can't see him, why care if he/she/it sees you?

    Sasktel employs poltergeists?

    ReplyDelete